Friday, September 29, 2006

Weird but true facts

Yesterday I wake up to the sound of Al trying to start my car so that he can move it to go to work since he leaves before me, but to no avail. So started the long process of getting a tow, finding a place to take it and getting prices. Needless to say, it was not a cheap day but I guess that comes with the luxury of having a car.
Being out yesterday has put me behind at work (as if I need help) and also a little behind with my blog and commenting on your blog. I do see the light at the end of the tunnel and will welcome it with great joy when it get here Monday, only to start the trip all over again.



WEIRD BUT TRUE FACTS
People say "bless you " when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a mili-second
The male praying mantis connot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The femal initiates sex by ripping the male's head off. (no wonder they are endangered)
Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning
A duck's quak does not echo and no one knows why
You can't kill yourself by holding your breath
Most lipstick contains fish scales (ewww..now I know why I do not wear it)
It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open
More that 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call
In every episode of Seinfield, there is a Superman somewhere
You share your birthday with at least 9 million people
The electric chair was invented by a dentist
The cigarette lighter was invented before the match
Every time you lick a stamp, you are consuming 1/10 of aq calorie (do they even sell these anymore)
Banging your head against the wall uses 150 calories per hour (I would like to meet the person who made it past the 1st hour)
China has more English speaking people than the United States (this one did not surprise me)
The worlds youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910 (I hope they are not teaching this in school)
The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly
If you have any weird/interesting true facts, feel free to share them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Swampwitch said...

These are very entertaining. I especially like the one about the praying mantis. Do you know where the expression, "Saved by the bell" came from?"

9:58 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Swamp, no I don't, do you?

2:30 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

Yup ! I do know where it came from. It may not be correct but the story does sound good.
A long time ago, before emblaming techniques, it was difficult to know if someone was really dead. So, they cut a hole in the coffin and set a bell outside so if the person wasn't dead, s/he could reach out and ring the bell to alert whoever was in the room, "Hey, I ain't dead."
And back at my GlobAsylum, it may have been squirrel but pig was easier to spell. Be sure to check out my Globber Auction today.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Caterpillar said...

That first one, about the heart stopping for a milisecond, freaks me out!

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home