Friday, September 15, 2006

Froud and Faeries


I am sure by now it is no secret that I love faeries, after all I have used many pictures of them through out my posts.
One of my favorite illustrator and writed or faeries is Brian Froud.

Froud was born in 1947 in Winchester and graduated with honors from Maidstone College of Art in 1971 with a degree in Graphic Design. Froud started working in London on different projects including boook jackets, magazine covers as well as illustrating serveral childrens books. He later moved to Devon and continued to illustrate children books and soon found time to create and publish his own artwork.
Froud's works has been uses as inspiration for creatures in films such as The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth (one of my favorites). He has also collaborated on a number of books about faeries and goblins, including Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, "Goblins" and "Good Fairies/Bad Fairies". One of Froud's most famous art books is tilted "Faeries", in collaboration with Alan Lee and has recently created a deck of tarot cards entitled "The Faerie's Oracle".
Over the years, Froud has created some of the most respected and highly acknowledged folklore/mythic artwork of our time. He has won numerous awards, including the ASFA bEst Interior Illustration and the Hugo award for Best Original Artwork in 1995.
He has summed up the philosophy of his life and work by his own word. 'Each book or story is like a journey, there is a beginning, a middle and an end. My paintings are the same...I am always thinking waht is over the hill? What will happen next? There is invariably a character in my pictures who is the viewer, sometimes its me, and no situation is too monumental for that character to overcome.'
May Brian continue to enchant us and continue to create visual, spiritual and poetic tales that will last many years to come.

Information taken from: Brian Froud-Fantasy art byEnchanted Artists and Art of Brian Froud

5 Comments:

Blogger Swampwitch said...

I just wanted to comment on how much I like the title of your blog...and to also say I like the pictures of the fairies.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Swampwitch said...

P.S. I was successful in posting you as a link on my previous post...and it works. :)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Brian, I am with you, pizza is one of my favorites.
Thanks for stopping by.

Swamwitch, thanks for the compliment and also linking my site.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

Have you seen his wife's dolls, based on his art? They're amazing. Almost frozen, as if they used to be alive. Stunning. They were selling them at ComicCon this year.

~S

6:51 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I have several of his books too, and one written by his wife that has her dolls in the pictures ... very cool. I do believe her name is Wendy ... just like me!!!

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home