Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Being a part of it all...



This is the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Rosemont, Il, and it is the most beautiful hotel that I have every stayed in. Yes, I do not get out much. Ok, well I travel a lot but can not afford to stay in the upper class hotels, this is the closest I have come.

I have played on a few different sports teams growing up but I have never felt so content being a part as something as I do the being a part of the darting community. I am not even sure how to explain it, it is just an overwhelming feeling. The people that I have met over the years have all touched my life one way or another and being able to go to and play in the World Championship's you get to me a lot of people from a lot of other countries. Yes, I did say World Chanpionship's and yes I am playing, but do not get too excited, I am a good dart shooter but this is a whole nother world. To get into the tournament, you have to qualify in one of the many other state and regional tournaments that they host across the counrty throughout the year, I usually qualify here in Pittsburgh. Anyway the first year I went I was pretty confident that I was going to at least place in the money, little did I know. The shooters here are like no other, I am good but they are so much better. Needless to say I did not fare well that year. The next year I went, I knew what to expect and I did much better, my partner and I were one out of the money. But I did not care becuase we beat out one of our area's top competitors who had just been inducted in to the Darting Hall of Fame. That was a great accomplishment and I was very happy with how we shot. This year I hope for the same, I do not mind not getting into the money, I would like to, but the most important things to me is that we shoot well and have a great time. There is nothing wrong with losing if you do your best and have fun while you are doing it. You can always tell which teams are more serious than other, Japan for instance file all of their matches and then go over them to see how they can imporve their game. Yep, somewhere in Japan there is a film of me shooting a match against them...and losing to boot. It is a great time win or lose, the people are great, Chicago is a beautiful city, and I love being a part of it all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Networkchic said...

I know that hotel and it is beautiful...and I think it's great that you are part of a community...darting or otherwise, that can make you feel part of something. Belonging is a wonderful feeling.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Caterpillar said...

I had no idea there were big tournaments for darting, let alone world championships! How fun, and to meet people from all over the world!! And you must be so good!!!

I hope you play your very best this year and have the most fun yet! And I look forward to hearing about it, too!

12:03 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thank you both for the kind words. When I started this I did not expect to have anyone reading and I appreciate that you both take the time to stop by.
The tournament is open, anyone can stop by and check it out and see what is going on, it really is a good time for shooters and non-shooter as well.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home