Monday, November 27, 2006

Easy to see


As we go through every day life our paths cross paths with many people of many different races, ethnic backrounds, and beliefs. These are people just like us, they have families, thoughts, emotions, and feel things. Even though these things may not be what we believe in or feel they are just as important to them as yours are to you.
Why is it so easy to see the faults in other people and we can not see our own faults, ones that are right there in front of us. Are we too proud to notice that we have faults, which we all do or are we too caught up in society to be the person we want to be or should be.
I am just as guilty as the next person, I find myself picking apart someone new to me. I know that is just my defense in a situation that I am feeling insecure. I have taught myself to catch me when I am doing it and then see one of my own. This helps me to let go of the insecurity that I may be feeling and really connect with the person.
When I was growing up, I was told that kids pick on other kids becuase there is something about themselves they do not like. It may not be the only reason, but I believe this to be true and have taught my son the same thing. I was also told that white cows produce white milk, brown cows produce brown or chocolate milk and spoted cows produce soup. This I have not taught to my son as I was picked on at a very young age when I told my friends where soup came from. Now that I am older and wiser, I can even see the lesson that there is to be taught with the cows. Even though the cows were all different they had something to provide to society just like all the different people we have in our society today. It could be a trade, a story, a belief, food, words of wisdom, a point of view, a fasion trend, what ever it is, it is important and life would be rather dull with out them.
So instead of looking for the faults or differences in someone, see all the great things they have to offer, you'll never know when one will change your life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are more alike than we are different...it is when we dwell on the differences that cause many problems... And all this time I thought chocolate milk came from brown cows? Who knew?

8:33 AM  
Blogger Shephard said...

Reminds me of the Bette Midler lyrics... "From a distance, you look like my friend, even tho we are at war." She's released a Christmas version of the song that's esp. nice and appropos.

We're taught to tear down, instead of build up. I try to see the me in others, and the others in me more.
Christmas in general is a great reminder.

~S

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home