Thursday, July 13, 2006

Friends


We have friends coming in this weekend from up state PA and I am so excited yet very nervous. I met Shannon and John at a dart tournament a few years ago and they are great people. We always talked at the tournaments but really never kept in touch between events until this year. We finally exchanged e-mail addy's and telephone numbers and have been chatting ever since.
It is weird how different people come in to your life, some stay and become very dear to you and some are just passing by. If you think about it we have a different variety of friends. We have social friends, work friends, friends of friends, internet friends and close friends. When we were younger is was a lot easier to make friends and get into a group, but now as we are older, it is not easy making new friends and being accepted into their circle of friends, why is that. Are we affraid that they will not be accepted and liked by our other friends, are we so set in our ways that we are unable to let someone new, with new ideas, hopes and dreams in? And if that is true then are they really a friend to your or just an acquaintance? It is strange how the different social circles work. But yet is it amazing to meet someone, a complete stranger and 16yrs later that person still means the world to you. And I am not talking about a family memeber or a significant others, they hold a different part of our hearts in different ways. Lori and I have been friends for 16yrs, I met her one day when I went to her house with another friend. Lori and I stayed friends all these years yet neither of us still keep in touch with the friend that had introduced us. Lori is like the sister I never had, we have been through so much and yet I know that she is there when I need her and I am here when she needs me. I could not imagine what it would be like with out her, how I would be, where I would be. She has been my stepping stone and I hers. She is a part of me of who I am, but it is just not her, it is all the people that I have met along my way, they have all become a piece of me in one way or another.

So as you take this journey through life, be sure to stop and make some friends a long the way. Take with you a piece of each one of them, keep them close to your heart for with in them you may find what you are looking for.

7 Comments:

Blogger Networkchic said...

I have to agree with you that making friends when you are older is much harder than when you were a kid. I don't know why exactly unless it's that we're much more aware of differences when we're older and we use them as excuses to keep to ourselves. I've made a promise to myself that this year I'm going to make a new friend...not someone inside my comfort circle but someone I might never really have 'hung' with before.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

NWC, that is a great promise and I hope that you stay true to yourself and keep it.
I do have a variety of friends and I am sure to hug them all good bye when I leave. As they may not be very dear friends, they mean just as much all the same.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Caterpillar said...

It's amazing all the people who come into our lives and affect us - some for just a short while and others for a lifetime. But you're right that even the ones who we may only be close to for a short time still play a part in our growth and in who we are. Lori sounds wonderful, I love that you have such a close friendship, and that it has gone on strong for so many years!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

Very nice. :)
And I love the artwork.
We too are entertaining a dear friend this weekend.
~S

8:44 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

I agree that you need to be open to the idea of making new friends!

I have the opposit problem of many people I crave these new connections... I crave change and new exepriences. I get bored easily. NOT GOOD!

I did a post recently on the topic of taking time to really get to know the people around you... not just those you are in the same social circle of.

great post Michelle!! thanks! K

ps I love the art too!!

7:41 PM  
Blogger CeeCi said...

Ola Michelle:: It's my first time commenting, but not my first time reading. I visited the other day and must say...lovely, lovely site and great thoughts. I'd never heard of Daniel Merriam before. I'll be sharing him with my sister as she loves that surreal style.

Now, on topic. Friends, they're like little beads on a string, each one is so different, yet necessary to compliment the next bead. Without one, the entire creation can seem a bit askew. I don't know why as adults we struggle to make new connections. Time, fear, baggage, I've no clue. It's sad when you realize you've lost the spontaniety of your childhood, when you could walk up to kid on the playground and simply reach your hand out in friendship and say "Would you like to play?" and then you'd both be off an running, fast friends from that moment until the next friend came along.

I too have a long-time friend. We've been through many things together, with one exception. We've been friends for 35 years and of those years we've lived in the same town for 18 months. Our bond is so deep, time and distance has never broken it. How wonderful you have a friend like that in Lori.

Have a grand time with your guests this weekend.

And if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to add you in my links list, I use it to read every morning.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Cat, you are such a good person and any one would be lucky to have you as a friend.

Shephard, thanks for the comments, you are a truly amazing person.

Kate, I know what you mean, I too get board easily. I did read the post you are reffering to. I think I have been reading your post longer than I have been commenting.

CeeCi, you have such a way with words and have a great heart, thanks for stopping by. Please feel free to add me to your list. I am sorry, I have added you before asking, I too use my list to read every day.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home