Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A to Z Quotes (Part one)


There are so many things that inspire us, movies, music, people, words and many other things throughout our life's journey. I was reading some quotes the other day and thought that I would post some of the ones that touched me in one way or another, ones that I believe in and try to live by. Along the way I have found so many other inspiring people and words and have enjoyed this greatly as I hope that you do to.

AWARENESS
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. ~ Anais Nin

BOOKS
The greatest gift is a passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you the knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination. ~ Elizabeth Hardwick

CHARACTER
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved. ~ Helen Keller (Character)

DIVERSITY
If we are to achieve a richer culture, rich in contrasting values, we must recognize the whole gamut of human potentialities, and so weave a less arbitrary social fabric, one in which each diverse human gift will find a fitting place. ~ Margaret Mead

EXPERIENCE
You must learn day by day, year by year, to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about, the more you have left when anything happens. ~Ethel Barrymore

FORGIVENESS

Forgiveness is freeing up and putting to better use the energy once consumed by holding grudges, harboring resentments, and nursing unhealed wounds. It is rediscovering the strengths we always had and relocating our limitless capacity to understand and accept other people and ourselves. ~ Sidney and Suzanne Simon

GOOD
If I have been of service, if I have glimpsed more of the nature and essence of ultimate good, if I am inspired to reach wider horizons of thought and action, if I am at peace with myself, it has been a successful day. ~Alex Noble


HAPPINESS
There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. ~Carl Jung

IMAGINATION
I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge -- myth is more potent than history -- dreams are more powerful than facts -- hope always triumphs over experience -- laughter is the cure for grief -- love is stronger than death. ~Robert Fulghum

JUDGMENT
Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

KNOWLEDGE
We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge of all around us, and the more we gain, the more is our desire; the more we see, the more we are capable of seeing. ~Maria Mitchell

LIMITATIONS
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us. ~ Helen Keller

4 Comments:

Blogger Networkchic said...

I love quotes that make you think. Thank you.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Shephard said...

My favorite is the Diversity/Mead quote.

I actually collect quotes. Do you? :)

~S

2:08 PM  
Blogger Caterpillar said...

I love quotes! I especially liked the ones for experience and happiness here, and I copied those for my own ongoing list of quotes!

Thank you!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love them too NWC.

Shephard, I do not actually collect them but I do love reading them and seeing the different views that different people have.

Cat, feel free to copy what you like.

If anyone else would like to do this, I would love to see what quotes you choose to post.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home