Friday, July 07, 2006

Lesson Learned


Oil and chips. I am not sure if they put this burden on any one else in the world, but here in the lovely state of PA, they oil and chip the roads every summer. Now I guess this would not be such a bad thing but they can not just slightly cover the road with these chips, which are actually tiny pebbles that I am sure they went back and swept from the side of the road from last years event, but they over load the roads with them. I have been on dirt roads in the country that have less pebbles on them. Ok back to the point, I am on my way to work this morning and the road had just been oiled and chipped. Now from past experience I have learned not to get to close behind the car in front of you becuase they have a habbit of kicking up these wonderful little pebbles they put on the road to entertain themselves every year. But apparently I have not learned that I need to slow done on these back somewhat country roads when going around the bend, because I gave the guy coming the other way the wake up call of his life this morning. As I am going a little over the speed limit around a somewhat windy road, my car spins. Now I can only imagine the look on the gentleman's face coming the other way, but I know the look that was on my face, it was a look of complete and utter surprise followed by a chuckle of relief. So my lesson learned for the day is to slow down on the freshly oiled and chipped roads, but I would really like to know why in the world do they do this annoying process to begin with, what purpose does it serve, inquiring minds want to know.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We get the same thing out here. I don't have a clue.
I bet that guy had to pull the seat cushion out of his butt!!

Have a good one!
Pam

9:25 AM  
Blogger Shephard said...

Oh my. That must have been quite exiting. What were you playing on the radio at the time? lol

Just wanted you to know...I left a return comment for you on my post "Grateful for the Food." :)
~S

2:06 PM  
Blogger Networkchic said...

it's all about money honey. It's cheaper to oil and chip them than it is to pave them. Where I grew up they used tar and pebbles and every year when it was time to do it again people stayed off the road because it got all over the bottom of your car and was harder than heck to get off. I also remember walking on those roads and having the tar stick to the bottom of your feet...because of course I was a country kid and we don't wear shoes in the summer. :-)

3:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey...posted a comment on my blog. ;0]
Pam

11:58 PM  
Blogger Caterpillar said...

I've never heard of this and it sounds so strange! Of course I know the ultimate purpose but I just don't get it!

I'm glad it was only a little scare and that nothing bad happened!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

LOL Pam, at least now he had to something to talk about at the water cooler.

Shephard,I am not quite sure what was on the radio, it should have been "I can't drive 55". And thanks for the comment, we are a lot alike, you have a better way with words though.

NWC, I know it is all about money and we are losing the battle twice. Once to pay for the roads to be oiled and chipped and once to have our cars cleaned.

Thanks Cat, I am glad nothing happened as well. I would have been ok if it were just me but if I would have hurt someone else, I would have been truly upset. be glad that you live in the city.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home