Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Birthdays Galore


August is a busy month for me as most of my loved ones were born in August. All but, me who just had to be different and then my son who followed in my footsteps to that point and got lost somewhere along the line because he is nothing like me.
I love birthdays, they are very special in many ways, without birthdays we would not be here.
There is evidence of birthday observances that date back before the rise of Christianity. Astrology focuses on the positions of the sun, moon, and stars at the moment or day of one’s birth. It teaches that the position of the sun, moon and starts at the time of ones birth determines their future, destiny, their character, their personality, talents, health and so on. This is where the horoscopes or birthday charts come from.
In pagan cultures people believe that evil spirits were more dangerous to a person when they experienced a change in their daily life, like turning a day older. Because of this birthdays were a merry occasion celebrated with family and friends who surrounded the person with joy, laughter, positive thoughts, and happy wishes for the up coming year. This was believed to protect them from evil during their day of change.
Putting candles on the cake goes back to ancient Greece. They worshipped many gods and goddesses. Artemis was the goddess o the moon and her birthday was celebrated once each month by special cakes that were round like a full moon. Because the moon glows with light, the cakes were covered with lighted candles.
All around the world birthdays are celebrated in one way or another. When a child turns 1 in Egypt, the parties are filled with dancing and singing. Flowers and fruit are used to decorate as a symbol of life and growth. In Saudi Arabia, birthdays are not celebrated due to spiritual beliefs. In Hong Kong, the birthday child is served special long noodles, which it so symbolize a long life. Sending birthday cards is a custom that begin in England about 100 years ago.Just about everyone today celebrates birthdays. Around the world people hold birthday parties, giving gifts and wishing happy birthday to the one whose birthday it being celebrated. No matter what your beliefs or customs it is a special day indeed.

5 Comments:

Blogger Caterpillar said...

That was so cool, Michelle! I love reading about customs around the world, and about the ancient backgrounds of rituals and celebrations that we have today - it's so so interesting!!

I also love the balloon picture!

Thank you so much for your comment yesterday, it meant a lot to me! :)

9:11 AM  
Blogger CeeCi said...

When asked for my favorite holiday I always respond...my Birthday!

**Big Hugs**
♥ CeeCi

1:26 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

Great post Michelle!
I loved it.

I used to be a real astrologer, a member of the nat'l org and everything. And I just wanted to share some insite...that many if not most real astrologers do not believe that astrology and the positions of the planets determine destiny or fate (there is a small brach of astrology called Horary, which attempts to make predictions)... but modern astrology is intended as a pyschological window into motivation and behavior and self-understanding.

One famous author once described it beautifully... Stephen Forest said that it's like a theatrical production setting a stage. The planets are the lights shining down on the stage, the signs those planets are in are the colored gells slipped in front of those lights, and the positions of the lights indicate how they work together. But the actor then comes to the stage, and he is the writer, director of his play, and at that point, with complete free will and creativity, it's all up to him. 90% of astrologers believe this.

TMI? Thought I'd share! I put astrology aside when I was about 24, because it's very heady and I got tired of living in my head all the time. But it's one way of psychological introspection. Nothing more. :)

~S

2:30 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Cat, I am gald that you liked the post. I also like learing about different cultures.

Ceeci, all the holidays are my favorite.

Shephard, absolutely not TMI, I love the input and all of the information. Thank you so much for sharing it. I think you and I could sit for hours and chat about a lot of things.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Very cool post, Michelle :)

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home