Thursday, August 24, 2006

When good things come to an end


Party like it's 1499, was the theme to last years Renaissance Festival and very well could have been their theme in years past. Last year marked the 12th annual Greater Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival and I was there. For 11 years this festival has been around and last year was the first year that I went. I am not sure why I have never went before, I guess I just had not found the right person to go with, a lame excuse I know.
Al, my son, a friend of his and I made our journey to the 16th Century amusemet park, a 7-stage theater, an 8-acre village, crafts fair, a food festival, and a jousting tourney. There are no words to describe how I felt once I steped through the gate, it was like entering another world. One that I wanted to be part of and never ever leave. To me it was just the most amazing experience, the smells, the sounds, the sights, the people who worked there and played or protrayed themselves. There was just something so magical about that village tucked in amongst the trees that was captivating. I could not imagine why I had never been there before.
And now, it is sad to say that last year was the last year at least for now I hope. Due to the lack of supporter and financial reasons they have shut down this magical world. I can only hope that there are enough investers out there that see what a great experience this is/was for people of all ages and they will be back again next year to spread some more magic and captivate someone else as they did me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shephard said...

That sounds like a much larger one than I've ever seen. What fun!
If you check out SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) online, you may be able to find another one somewhere.

~S :)

1:43 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

There is a great one through the fall in the Lancaster PA area. I am not sure how far the is from you but it really was terrific.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I will have to check those out, thank you both.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Caterpillar said...

That sounds so amazing - like entering into the world of my old romance novels!!! I can see why you loved it and I hope you're able to find another one to go to sometime very soon!!

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home