Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Bring on the New Year


I am not sure about you, but I am very much so looking forward to the New Year. This past year has been full of it’s ups and downs and some very low points for me, and I am just looking forward to a new year and a happy medium. Now don’t get me wrong, I know that life is full of ups and downs, but I plan on taking what I have learned this past year and the years before and pushing forward to another year with endless possibilities.

Some people believe that our New Year’s Eve celebrations can be traced back to ancient Roman observance around the time of the Winter Solstice in December call “Saturnalia”.
This is a pagan holiday known for totally letting go all discipline and rule for behavior and was known to get out of hand. Apparently this tradition has not changed much as New Year’s Eve celebrations still are this way.
Some people attend midnight masses at their church or synagogue on New Years Eve, but the biggest celebration is in New York City’s Time Square. People gather by the hundreds of thousands for the annual celebration and the famous ball drop.
In London, people gather in Trafalgar Square or Piccadilly Circus where they eagerly wait for the chimes of Big Ben to announce the New Year. In Sydney, people gather for the annual midnight fireworks in Sydney Harbor. The Dutch celebrate New Years by burning their Christmas trees in the streets in big bonfires. In Spain they eat twelve grapes at the stroke of midnight to ensure twelve good months for the year to come.
There are many New Years traditions and superstitions throughout the world. In my house no candle goes unlit on New Years Day as it is thought to be bad luck.
No matter how you celebrate New Years, take a moment to reflect back on the year past and look forward to a new year with endless possibilities.

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, and may 2007 see your cups overfloweth.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

If you are lucky, you just might get to see me in my Baby New Year outfit.

Cross your fingers.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Shephard said...

I'm with you, Michelle... here's to a happy and prosperous New Year, filled with wonderful possibilities and joy-filled surprises. Looking forward with my last year's lessons firmly in hand.

~S :)

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Happy New Year and may you have a healthy, happy, and safe 2007.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home