Thursday, July 20, 2006

Balance


balĀ·ance
Function: nounEtymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Vulgar Latin *bilancia, from Late Latin bilanc-, bilanx having two scalepans, from Latin bi- + lanc-, lanx plate
1 : an instrument for weighing: as a : a beam that is supported freely in the center and has two pans of equal weight suspended from its ends b : a device that uses the elasticity of a spiral spring for measuring weight or force
2 : a means of judging or deciding
3 : a counterbalancing weight, force, or influence
4 : an oscillating wheel operating with a hairspring to regulate the movement of a timepiece
5 a : stability produced by even distribution of weight on each side of the vertical axis b : equipoise between contrasting, opposing, or interacting elements c : equality between the totals of the two sides of an account
6 a : an aesthetically pleasing integration of elements b : the juxtaposition in writing of syntactically parallel constructions containing similar or contrasting ideas
7 a : physical equilibrium b : the ability to retain one's balance
8 a : weight or force of one side in excess of another b : something left over :
REMAINDER c : an amount in excess especially on the credit side of an account
9 : mental and emotional steadiness - balĀ·anced
/-l&n(t)st/ adjective - in the balance or in balance : with the fate or outcome about to be determined - on balance : with all things considered

It is so hard to keep balance in my life. I am not talking about balancing all the different activities and what not that I have going on, I am talking about the balance between good and bad. It seems that I can not keep the scales blanaced lately. Just when you think that you have got it all to the point where everything is ok, the scale starts to tip in the wrong direction. You get one thing fixed or taken care of and you have balance for a little while and then the scales start to tip and you are off again. It just seems that everything can not just be good, there always has to be that one thing or many things thrown onto the bad side of the scale. I can not think of a time when the good out weighed the bad. Not devistating bad, just your car not starting or something simple, but just enough to make life a little more complicated or as some would look at it, more interesting.
Sometimes I think that the earth uses the unbalanced scales of the world to rotate and that if there were complete balance in the world, the earth would stop spinning and we would all fall of.
I would like just one day when the scales do not tip in either direction, just one day when all is right with the world. Then again, if my theory is correct, hang on to your hats it is going to be a long ride.

6 Comments:

Blogger CeeCi said...

"2 : a means of judging or deciding"

Is this the answer to your questions? If you judge something good, then it is good. If you judge something bad, then guess what. I'd like to offer a third thought. It is what it is.

**Big Hugs**

from someone else who wonders the same things as you.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yes, it is what it is and all in how we preceive things. I guess if the scale did not tip a little one way or the other life would not be so full of entertainment.

***Big Hugs back at ya CeeCi****

1:36 PM  
Blogger Networkchic said...

We're all so used to walking at a tilt...we'd be completely baffled if the world stayed dead center and all was equal.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I work on just keeping myself balanced -- inside. There are far too many things on the outside (car not starting, etc) that will SO EASILY throw us off balance - and all of those sorts of things are inevitable. It's life. But, if I can keep myself balanced, calmed, and grounded inside, it makes all the other things have less negative effect on me. NOT easy to do though. Somedays ... it's a losing battle.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Caterpillar said...

I love what Wendy said and agree completely. We can't control or do anything about the outside world, but we can do something about ourselves. I try to relax and live and see the good in everything that I can. I like how it works for me most of the time!

But I'll hope for more things on the good side to happen for you tomorrow!

1:26 AM  
Blogger Shephard said...

Michelle... saw this, and had to share it with you. Made me think of your blog. :)

http://duirwaighgallery.com/inspiration_aknock.htm

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home