Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Wednesday's Featured Writer

How is one to live a moral and compassionate existence when one is fully aware of the blood, the horror inherent in life, when one finds darkenss not only in one's culture but within oneself? If there is a stage at which and individual life becomes tryuly adult, it must be when one grasps the irony in its unfolding and accepts responsibility for a life lived in the midst of such paradox. One must live in the middle of contradiction, becacuse if all contradiction were eliminated at once life would collapse. Tehre are simply no answers to some fo the great pressing questions. You continue to live them out, making your life a worthy expression of leaning into the light. ~Barry Lopez-Artic Dreams

I decided to make Wednesday's "Featured Writers" day. I have posted about books before, but I have such a great compassion for them and the writers that I wanted to share some of the great books and or writers that I have come across and hope that you will do the same. There is nothing better than a book that captivates you, makes you think or takes you to another world. I have discovered so many great things in the books that I have read. And no matter how many I read I just can not seem to get enough and am always looking for another great story or adventure.

I choose Barry Lopez this week because I came across the quote above and was captivated by it. I have to admitt that I have only read bits and pieces of Mr. Lopez's books at this point but have them on my list for my next books purchase. Mr. Lopez writes nonfiction as well as fiction and he has won many awards. You can read more about Mr. Lopez and his writings at www.barrylopez.com.

"I would ask you to remember only this one thing," said Badger. "The stories people tell have a way of taking care of them. If stories come to you, care for them. And learn to give them away where they are needed. Sometimes a person needs a story more than food to stay alive. That is whey we put these stories in each other's memory. This is how people care for themselves. One day you will be good story-tellers. Never forget these obligations." ~ Crow and Weasel

2 Comments:

Blogger Shephard said...

The story quote is esp. interesting. Very Joseph Campbell.
~S

8:43 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks for commenting Shephard, apparently not a very interesting post today.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home