Thursday, June 22, 2006

Could it be farewell?

Last night we went to a meeting at a club that we belong to, to try and come up with ideas to bring more people or more money in. Now this is a memebers club, but as far as I know, they have not denied anyone..well unless they knew that they did not have a good track record, but for the most part everyone that filled out a membership got one. Now I have been going here for about 3 years now, this is the club that Mustang took me to on one of our first dates, this is the club where we gather to watch football and NASCAR, this is the club that we go to for most holiday parties, this is the club where we play darts, this is the club that we have loved. To hear about something that means a great deal to you could be closing its doors is never easy to handle. Now there are about 160 memebers (membership is down) and about 40 of them showed up last night. No one came up with a long term fix there were a few ideas thrown out to get at least the gas turned back on and maybe pay for the beer order. But as I sat in this meeting, I realized that pretty much every idea was pushed aside for one reason or another. After about 1 1/2 hours of this I had enough and went to the front room, but of course what ever it is that drives me to try to be the one that solves the problems all of the time talked me to going back. I had suggested a donation jar, why not, it would be like tipping the bar tender..a dollar for her and one for the jar. If the people that belong to this club are really concerned about it closing, then they would put money in it..right? Well after being denied that idea, I proceeded to the kitchen and grabed a basket for donations...must be the German in me..stubborn. Well I collected a decent amount of money from the people that were there, I think the chairman was a little suprised. After all the time we spent in the back room for this meeting, I am not sure if anything got resolved or that any of the ideas will be put into place. It is a sad thing to think of a place you have been going to for years could be closing, it happens I know but change is not always easy. But in the end if we do say farewell to our club, I will always have the memories and the friendships that I have made over the years and nothing can change that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Networkchic said...

Change is hard especially when you try so hard to get people to stand up and help you save something you love. At least you'll know you made an effort...and that means you'll never have regrets.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Caterpillar said...

I'm in a similar situation where we're trying to save our volunteer chapter and it's hard coming up with ideas and getting enough people on board. With 40 people in the room it must have been especially hard. But I love that you're trying, and it's obvious that this club means so much to you. I hope you're all able to work it out!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home