Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fire, Earth, Air, Water

I have been reading a lot about Astrology and loving it. I have always known that I am a fire sign and what that means but I never knew where all of the information came from or how Astrology came about. There is a lot to learn and by no means am I going to pretend that I know it all because I am far from an expert. But what I have learned so far is fascinating and I will probably post a lot about it.
Astrology is the study of how events on earth correspond to the positions and movements of astronomical bodies, which include the sun, moon, planets and stars. Depending on the position of these bodies at the exact moment of a person’s birth, Astrologers believe these bodies and their movements reflect that person’s character. This knowledge of the person’s character and their relation to the bodies enables astrologers to predict a person’s destiny.

Earth

The earth is considered the center of the solar system, when forecasting a horoscope. Therefore, all heavenly bodies in relation to the earth can reveal a person’s character and future.
Planets
Astrologers believe planets influence a person more than any other heavenly body. The sun and moon are considered planets in Astrology.
Zodiac
The Zodiac is a band of stars that encircles the earth. These stars are divided into 12 equal parts called signs. Each sign of the Zodiac had certain characteristics, which are determined by a particular planet and other factors.
Houses
The earth is divided into 12 parts, called houses. These houses represent characteristics of an individual’s life. Astrologers believe houses determine how planets and the signes influence a person’s daily life.

There are 4 different Elements:
3 are Fire (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius) outgoing, action oriented, impulsive, and “fiery”
3 are Earth (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn) Physical, sensual, and material
3 are Air (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius) mental perceptions, thought, communication, and abstract ideas
3 are Water (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces) sensitive, feeling, empathic and healing


This does not even begin to scratch the surface, but it is a start and hopefully has got your attention, leaving you wanting more. There is no doubt that Astrology is a controversy. It is a controversy that has been spanning over millions of years. This controversy has greatly influenced its popularity and survival as a whole.


"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead." ~Louisa May Alcott

5 Comments:

Blogger PG said...

Hmmm. I never knew I was an "air" sign.
I guess I am kind of flighty!
:)

(long time lurker)

8:55 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

If you're really interested in learning some solid stuff that's actually fun to read too... check out Steven Forest's book, The Inner Sky.
A great read.
~S

9:34 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

P.S.... the zodiac is not really a circle of stars... they are more like areas of "space" that the sun, moon and planets (even Pluto) move through at different times of the year and decade... it can take outer planets YEARS to move through one sign, thus these are thought of as generational influences that are shared en mass...compared with the moon that only spends 3 days per sign, and mercury, about 3 months per sign. I've yakked enough. The book above is really good. :)

~S

9:44 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Welcom e.e. and thanks for commenting.

Shephard, I will definately have to check it out. As always your words of wisdom are appreciated.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Caterpillar said...

I sooooooo look forward to you posting more on astrology. I find it absolutely fascinating, and after many talks with my aunt, I also really believe that there's something to it, even though I can't really explain it.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home