Monday, August 28, 2006

School Days

My son started back to school today, he is in the 8th grade. Ahh, I remember those days. I was always excited to go back to school even though it meant that the summer was coming to and end and that the long days of haning with your friends riding bikes, playing in the creek, exploring the woods or what ever came along that day were over. I looked forward to seeing the friends that I did not see on a regular basis during the summer at school and catching up with them and what they did over the summer. And the excitement that I had thinking about what I was going to wear out of all the new school clothes that I got. I would always try everything on one more time the night before so I could pick out just the right thing and then most likely change my mind in the morning. I was never on for picking my clothes out ahead of time, which is probably why I pack so much when I go away, I like a variety. After trying on my clothes, I would sit and organize all of my new school supplies and get them all ready for the new year. I always talked my mom into buying a bunch of things that I wanted but knew I would never use. I could say that I just wanted to be prepared but I am pretty sure that was not it.
Unfortunately my son does not share in the same joys that I had going back to school. He definately was not a happy camper yesterday while getting his new clothes, shoes and school supplies in order. And the thought of getting up earlier than he has been over the summer, leaving the kittens and cats home alone, and not playing with his new found summer friends were not helping his mood at all.
I wish that I was going back to school today instead of coming to work with no new clothes, even if it was just for a day. I loved being in school and the experiences that I had and I hope that my son experiences the same.

2 Comments:

Blogger CeeCi said...

How well I remember those days, Michelle. I'd have the added extra bonus of usually walking into an entirely new school. My dad was in the Air Force so we moved frequently.

My favorite part of back to school...new shoes and sharp crayons. I loved my clean, undoodled notebooks and peachy folders.

I hope your son had a good first day of 8th grade. Wow, high school next year!

**Big Hugs**
♥ CeeCi

3:09 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

Wow. I think that's wonderful that you can look back so fondly. I have to admit, I loved getting new notebooks ...finding *just* the right one, and having lined paper, and everything was all nice and new.

~S

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home