Friday, September 01, 2006

Do you want fries with that


Who does not like french fries? They are probably one of the top selling food, after all they come with almost every meal. I love them, but I know they do not love me. I can almost fell the fat storing up on my bottom as I endulge in an order of fries at one of my favorite french fry places.
Listed below are a few of the top places to get these incredible treats, so sit back and let your mouth water.

Original Hot Dog Shop -- Pittsburgh

Franks aren't the only legendary junk food on the menu at this Steel City institution, known simply as ''the O'' among its devotees -- there are also the fries, twice-cooked in peanut oil and perfectly golden. A small order can easily feed two people; take on the mountainous large order and you could be there all day.

Bette -- New York

The only bona fide restaurant in owner Amy Sacco's nightlife empire, Bette is better known for its scene than its food -- with one exception: the truffled french fries. No one can resist their decadent charms, from palate-fatigued restaurant critics to the celebutantes who come here to debunk rumors of anorexia.

In-N-Out -- Las Vegas and elsewhere

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who love In-N-Out french fries (100 percent potato, 100 percent farm fresh), and those who don't (a little limp, not ''McFried'' enough). Decide for yourself by trying them ''animal style.'' It's not on the menu, but it is yummy -- fries with melty cheese, grilled onions and loads of special sauce.

Bistrot du Coin -- Washington, D.C.

The steak frites at Bistrot Du Coin are the culinary equivalent of finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The steak -- that's the rainbow part. But the fries are pure gold, crispy and expertly browned with just the right amount of sea salt shaken over them. You'd swear Dupont Circle was on the Left Bank of Paris.

The Fire Dog -- San Antonio

Healthy? French fries? It's true: Sub the yucca root for the potato, and you have a guilt-free fry that still pleases the palate. Unlike traditional fries, The Fire Dog's cholesterol-free thick-cut pieces are full of vitamin C and iron -- and, most importantly, they're just as flavorful as their greasy potato cousins, served with spicy-hot oil- and mayo-based dipping sauces.

Frites -- Seattle

This enigmatic snack parlor is something of a french fry urban legend, with its irregular hours and unlisted phone number. But if it's authentic Belgian frites you want, these are the real deal, twice fried -- once to slowly cook the inside, and another time to gently crisp the outside -- and served with a variety of homemade hot and cold sauces

Ishkabibble's -- Philadelphia

Ishkabibble's isn't much to look at -- the entire place is smaller than your office cubicle. But there's always a line, even in the pouring rain. It's thought that the chicken cheesesteak was invented here, but as far as most people are concerned, the menu consists of two items: fries... and cheese fries.
I bet you are thinking "Fries for dinner". What is your favorite way to eat your fries?

4 Comments:

Blogger Shephard said...

I love fries.
It's the only reason I'd ever patronize McD's (I don't eat beef).

I have to say, I was thoroughly unimpressed with In-n-Out. They just tasted funny. We have friends who love I&O thought, so it's definitely quite popular. But the other places you mentioned sound so yummy!! Fries. I love them and avoid them at the same time. I love the fat steak style fries the best.

~S :)

2:54 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I taste depends a lot on the oil they use and what else was cooked in that oil.
I love my fries dipped in ranch or mayo.

2:59 PM  
Blogger CeeCi said...

French Fries are not on my top 10 list of favorite foods. Heck, I don't even think they fall in the top 100. On the rare occasion I do eat fries I'm always left with a weird, greasy feeling on the roof of my mouth. They're either too salty or just flat. Within 20 minutes of eating them I start feeling a bit bloaty, gassy, and most uncomfortable. I rarely eat fried foods (I know, I'm odd) and I think that's why they effect me so much.

My sister, now that girl can down the French Fries! When we were kids she called them "Frim Fries" and she had to have them with every meal, sometimes that's all she wanted. She would dip the tip in ketchup and only eat that portion, then dip again and again and... Waiting for her to finish her 'frim fries' was a career move. Everyone in the family would be done and then we'd have to wait for her. There was no hurrying her and there was no way she would leave one behind or change the dunking routine. She says she doesn't, but she still eats them that way.

btw: She's a Leo :D

**Big Hugs**
♥ CeeCi

3:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Michelle. You've been on my mind for about 4 days. I was just fixin' to go hunt you down in my archives or on someone else's blog when low and behold, there you are this morning at my place!! This time I'm saving your blog in favorites. ;0]
I don't have a spare sec to read your post but I'll be back later, promise.
♥Pam

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home